The latest study of FDA has proven that there are various hazards of giving bone treats to the dogs. Before knowing the hazards involved, one needs to know what exactly is termed as a bone treat. Bone treats are the real bones that are commercially available in a various variety of flavors and packaging. The treats can be Rib bone, Hambone or Pork femur bone. Feeding these treats to your dog can cause serious health issues. Dogs have a natural instinct to chew and that is the reason they enjoy having a bone treat but considering its impact on his health, you can give him chewing toys but make sure that he doesn’t ingest it. Feeding bones can also result in a various allergic reaction and there is a high chance of bacteria buildup in the bones which can harm your dog’s health. Bones are very rough and can potentially cause an oral puncture.
Let’s find out the various health issues that giving bone treats can arise:
- Can cause vomiting
- Bleeding from rectum
- Can cause Choking
- Blockage of the digestive tract
- Diarrhea in dogs
- Death (in severe cases)
Feeding any kind of bones (raw or cooked) can cause above-mentioned health issues so, one must avoid giving it to their furry companion.
What to do if you have given a bone treat to your dog?
Firstly, you need to monitor whether he is showing any abnormalities like difficulty in sitting, coughing, choking etc. and check if there is any swelling in his stomach and if he shows any of these symptoms then you need to rush to a veterinarian immediately.
- Always keep raw bones away from your dog’s reach.
- Always monitor what your dog is eating
- Dispose of the carcass of turkey properly so, that your dog can’t be able to find it
- Consult your doctor about the treats that you should consider giving to your four-legged friend
- Always make sure to give him bone-free, healthy treats
- Don’t buy any commercially preserved food containing bones in it
Bone treats are not a good choice of food for dogs as it involved various health hazards. If you feed your dog bone treats that it can make him fall sick. If a dog ingests it then it can cause blockage in his intestine which could only be fixed by a surgery. In order to keep your dog’s health intact, the dog owner should avoid giving any kind of bone treat to his furry friend.