Dog Eye Care
As a pack leader, It is your responsibility to take care of your four-legged friend’s eyes. Dogs cannot effectively clean their eyes so, you need to monitor their eyes in order to avoid any possibilities of common eye problems in dogs. Eye infection generally occurs due to the presence of bacteria in the eyes. If the eyes of a dog are moist and clean then it is an indication of healthy eyes. While grooming always make sure that his hair should not fall into his eyes as it may cause irritation in his eyes.
Here are some ways through which you can keep a check on your furry friend’s vision:
- Take your dog in the well-lit area then gaze into his eyes, make sure that your dog’s eyes are clear and, no discharge should come out of his eyes.
- Next thing that you need to check is his lower eyelid, make sure it should be pink.
Signs of eye problem
- Teary eyes
- Unequal pupil size
- Cloudy eyes
- Change in eye color
- Red lower eyelid
- Crusty discharge
- Squinting eyes
- If you notice any of these signs then you should visit a doctor as these signs can result in severe eye problems.
Puppies and senior dogs are more likely to develop a serious infection.
The most common eye conditions that can be seen in dogs are:
Cataract: It occurs due to genetics and it makes the lens cloudy due to which dog’s vision get poor and eventually it results in blindness.
Corneal ulcers: corneal ulcer is caused by any foreign object that gets into his eyes and the situation get worse if the object is contaminated
Cherry eye: cherry eyelid or third eye is an eyelid that occurs under the outer eyelid.
Conjunctivitis: it is an inflammation of the eye membrane and it is caused due to bacteria or allergies.
Glaucoma: It is caused due to the blockage of eye’s natural draining system and it can affect the vision of the dog.
Let’s find out the various ways in which you can take care of your furry friend’s eyes:
Although any eye related problem needs assistance from your veterinarian, there are some general things that you need to do in order to keep your dog’s vision intact.
- Examine his eyes on a regular basis and look for the signs that indicate eye problem.
- Make use of eyewash to clean his eyes so, all you need to do is take a cotton ball and damp it in the solution and clean the outer area of his eyes.
- Trim his bangs using a scissor as long hairs can poke into your dog’s eye.
- While taking your dog on a car ride always keep the window close to dust or any foreign object can get into his eyes.
- Get your dog’s eye examined by a veterinarian after every few months.
Best Dog Breeds for Aged People
26 May 2021
Must-have Items for Senior Dogs
25 May 2021
Top 100 Female Dog Names With Meanings
24 May 2021