Xylitol is a substance which works as an artificial sweetener, and can also be found in various fruits and vegetables such as berries, corn, mushrooms etc., however, dogs are xylitol intolerant, and even a small amount of xylitol can cause severe damage to their health. Many studies have shown that if a dog consumes xylitol then it will result in releasing a massive amount of insulin in dogs which eventually results in lowering down the glucose level in blood. If a dog ingests xylitol then it can cause a life-threatening situation for him.  The level of toxicity in dog depends on the amount of xylitol ingested by the dog.

Humans can consume xylitol without bearing any consequences but for dogs, it is extremely toxic. A small dose can cause various issues like liver failure, seizures etc. If you suspect that your furry companion has eaten any product that contains xylitol in it then you should consider taking him to a veterinarian immediately.

Symptoms of xylitol toxicity

Here are a few symptoms that a dog will display on suffering from xylitol toxicity

  • Lethargy
  • Vomiting
  • Tremors
  • Difficulty in coordination
  • Collapse

These symptoms will generally occur within half an hour of the consumption of xylitol. The dog owner needs to rush to a doctor on noticing any of these symptoms in his furry companion.

Treatment of xylitol toxicity

Speedy treatment by your veterinarian is essential to avoid any life-threatening situation. The foremost thing that the doctor will perform is that he will try to induce vomiting and in the severe cases, he will monitor dog’s blood sugar levels and then he will operate him accordingly. If not treated on time then it can a cause liver failure in dogs.

Prevention of xylitol toxicity

As we all know,”prevention is better than cure”. The dog owner should keep all the things that contain xylitol out of the reach of his furry companion. Xylitol is common in various human products so the dog owner should never give any human-product to his dog without consulting a veterinarian.

To cut down the risk of xylitol toxicity in dogs:

  • The dog owner should avoid sharing human foods with his furry companion
  • While buying any product for your four-legged friend, always ensure it is xylitol-free
  • Never give candies to your dog
  • Always use pet toothpaste to brush your dog’s teeth

The dog owner should know that xylitol is not meant to be consumed by the dogs as it can create a life-threatening situation for him. Also, while feeding peanut butter to your dog always ensure that is doesn’t contain xylitol in it.