Hitting the roads in a car with your furry companion is always a fun activity unless your dog experience motion sickness. Just like humans, dogs can also feel distressed even during short trips.
The issue of the car sickness arises in dogs either due to sickness caused by balance or due to anxiety or stress problem. This problem is more common in the young dogs as their ears are not fully developed. And, they are unable to maintain equilibrium so it can result in sickness in them. Treating this issue as soon as possible can make your dog’s travel a pleasant experience. A dog can also fell ill because of any past experience associated with the travel. Small puppies do not enjoy car rides as any new experience tends to develop stress and excitement in them.
Nothing would be more stressful for a dog owner than riding with a motion sickness dog.
Causes of car sickness in dogs
As mentioned earlier, the reason for car sickness in dogs is quite the same in both dogs and humans. Motion sickness occurs when the sensory system becomes unable to maintain equilibrium, for instance, when your inner eyes or sensory nerves sense the motion but other parts can’t sense the motion then due to this conflict between the senses result in car sickness in dogs.
When you strapped your furry companion into the car seat then brain gets the signal that his body is sitting but during driving the fluid present in your dog’s inner ear starts to move so, due to this confusion, the brain of dog gets the signal that something is wrong and it results in motion sickness.
Even if your dog is little stressed-out then also, he will display the symptoms of car sickness.
Symptoms of car sickness in dogs
There are many other symptoms which indicate that your furry companion is suffering from car sickness:
- Vomiting: The most common symptom that a dog will display on having car sickness is vomiting. The dog will do vomiting when his stress level goes higher.
- Inactivity: Your furry companion can also become inactive or shows the symptom of uneasiness.
- Licking lips: When a dog is fearful because of the weird travel experience then he tends to lick his lips continuously.
- Whining: Another symptom that your dog will display is continuous whining or crying due to the stressful travel.
So, these are a few symptoms that your canine will show on suffering from the car sickness. However, when the vehicle stops, the symptoms go away.
Dealing with motion sickness
Let’s consider some effective ways to tackle the issue of motion sickness in dogs:
- The foremost thing that a dog owner needs to consider is making possible efforts to make sure that the ride is comfortable for your dog. Comfort is the key to avoid anxiety, as if the dog doesn’t feel comfortable then he can become anxious which is also a reason for car sickness.
- The next thing that one needs to consider is allowing the flow of fresh air inside the car. This can help in equalizing the air pressure from inside and the outside.
- Always ensure to keep your vehicle cool as dogs are unable to tolerate heat and it can result in anxiety in dogs.
- Engage your dog with his favorite toy
- Avoid feeding anything to your dog prior or during the ride.
- You can also consider giving medication to him to avoid nausea.
So, these are a few effective ways that you can try in order to tackle the issue of motion sickness.
Motion sickness prevention in dogs
Seeing a dog in distress during the car rides can be heart wrecking. Some dogs enjoy car rides whereas some dogs start drooling or whining. No matter what the potential reason is for motion sickness in your dogs, taking preventative measures can help your dog to deal with the issue.
- Positive association: Some dogs don’t experience the pleasant feeling when they think of a road travel. In this case, it is essential for a dog owner to associate good and positive things with the car. All you need to do is place his favorite toy in the car or you can consider giving him a treat after every ride.
- Breaks: Always ensure to take enough breaks during the ride, as your dog will be able to channelize his surplus energy which can help in avoiding stress.
- Temperature: Hot temperature inside the car can worsen the situation so always ensure to regulate the temperature inside the car. Cool temperature is essential for making your furry friend comfortable.
When nothing works in your favor then it is time to see a veterinarian. He will provide you various medications which can help your dog dealing with the car sickness or he may tell you some techniques to lower down the anxiety issues in him.